Four arrested, 2 at large for Kent car show gang shooting

Print
Email
|

by KING 5 News

NWCN.com

Posted on September 15, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Updated Thursday, Sep 15 at 1:21 PM

KENT, Wash. – Four people have been arrested for their involvement in a gang shooting at a car show in Kent, but two are still on the loose.

Twelve people were injured at the show on July 23. About 250 people were at the car show that day. Another person was shot in a retaliation drive-by at a Kent apartment building later that day.

Police say the incident involved members of several organized Hispanic gangs and were the result of tensions that had been simmering for awhile.

“These arrests are just the first wave in an ongoing effort to dismantle these violent gangs,” said Kent Police Chief Ken Thomas.

Nicholas Moreno, Ignacio Vazquez-Trevino and Martin McSmith are charged with three counts of first degree assault with a firearm enhancement. James Lopez, Jr. is charged with one count of drive-by shooting. Lopez is a juvenile, but is charged as an adult. Brothers Shea and Patrick Auble are charged with rendering criminal assistance.

Moreno and Vazquez-Trevino are still at large.

Police say all the suspects are members of the Playboy-Surenos street gang.

Detectives used several methods to lead to the arrests, including social media, text messaging records, cell phone tracking and jail phone call recordings.

“Detectives navigated a sea of chaos at the crime scene, hostile and uncooperative witnesses and victims and a tangled web of gang hostilities to build a solid case against these six individuals,” said King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg.

Wednesday night, police and SWAT responded to a Federal Way neighborhood as part of the investigation.

Print
Email
|