Fire displaces families in multi-unit Seattle residence

Print
Email
|

by KING5 News

NWCN.com

Posted on July 13, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Updated Tuesday, Jul 13 at 4:08 PM

SEATTLE - Several residents have been forced from their homes by a morning house fire in Seattle's Georgetown neighborhood.

The fire began short before 5:30 a.m. in a multiple unit residence in the 600 block of South Brandon Street. The single-family house had been converted into a four-unit apartment.

A battalion chief says the toughest part of fighting the fire was in the attic.

"The hard part was getting (to) the fire that was up in the attic," said Battalion Chief Phil Jose.  "The crews did a great job of getting up on top of the roof and then pulling the ceilings from the insides, sort of a two-pronged attack."

The house suffered fairly extensive damage.

"In the upper units it's going to be pretty significant damage. The other units are going to have smoke and water damage," said Jose.

No one was in the house at the time and there were no injuries reported.

Fire officials say the cause of the fire was accidental. They say it appears that combustable material, piled ontop of a working baseboard heater in an unoccupied unit, ignited.

 

Print
Email
|