Samsung recalls 1 million Galaxy Note 7 phones

SAN FRANCISCO — Samsung has officially recalled 1 million of its Galaxy Note 7 phones sold before Sept. 15 because of "serious fire and burn hazards."

The electronics giant made the announcement during a conference call with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission late Thursday.

Read more about the recall

Samsung says it received 92 reports of batteries in the popular smartphone overheating in the U.S., resulting in 26 instances of burns and 55 of property damage, including fires in cars and a garage, according to the U.S. agency.

Samsung Electronics America said Note 7 replacement units will be available in the U.S. at most retail stores by Sept. 21.

“Our collaboration with the CPSC to fast-track a voluntary recall in the U.S. addresses safety concerns by ensuring we reach Note 7 owners quickly to exchange their devices,” Tim Baxter, president of Samsung Electronics America, said in a statement.

When Samsung  announced a voluntary recall in early September of the phone, citing faulty rechargeable lithium batteries, it had sold 2.5 million of the devices.

Late last week, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission warned consumers to stop using and charging their Galaxy Note 7s because of the risk of exploding batteries. Before that, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration warned to avoid turning on or charging Note 7s in airplanes.

KGW


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment