The protests in Ferguson, Missouri might be getting smaller and more subdued, on Saturday, a Seattle-based show of solidarity swelled into the streets.

Protesters marched from Westlake Center to the Seattle Police East Precinct on Capitol Hill and then back, right in the middle of the street and right in the middle of afternoon traffic. They hoped to turn some heads along the way.

"I think the march was powerful because there's power in numbers," said Marta Assaw, who participated in the march. "There was a lot of us, when we were walking, and we caused people to stop and look at us like, hey, what's going on?"

Assaw said she could tell some drivers were irritated that the march interrupted traffic or slowed them down, but she says others waved and honked their horns in support.

The event marked the second Saturday in a row that Seattle hosted a Ferguson-related protest.

In the weeks since a Ferguson police officer shot and killed Michael Brown, similar protests have been taking place across the country.

"I came down last weekend, on Saturday, at the same time," said one protestor. "So all week, we've been all over social media, trying to get people to come down and support the cause."

The group held signs with messages like "Justice For Michael Brown', 'My Skin Is Not A Sin', and 'Hands Up, Don't Shoot'.

They said they marched to the SPD East Precinct because they want to raise awareness not just among the public, but also among Seattle Police. They say what happened in Ferguson won't be forgotten.

"They were just standing there, just staring at us," said Assaw, when asked how Seattle Police responded.

She said that officers followed the group from the East Precinct back to Westlake, but did not get aggressive. Instead, the officers were there to make sure protesters were safe as they walked through the streets, and to help stop oncoming traffic as they passed.

For the first time in two weeks, there were no arrests overnight in Ferguson, but the protests there are ongoing.

Read or Share this story: