PORTLAND - A young girl who was burned in a bizarre fire at Oregon Health & Sciences University's Doernbecher Children's Hospital sparked by hand sanitizer and olive oil is proving her strength as she recovers from her injuries.

Ireland Lane suffered burns over 18 percent of her body after she used an ethyl alcohol-based hand sanitizer at OHSU. Portions of her skin was also coated with olive oil to ease removal of adhesives used attach monitors.

She was taken Legacy Emanuel Burn Center and is now staying at the Ronald McDonald House.

She is a cancer survivor and had been at Doernbecher for treatment of a head injury suffered in a fall.

More:Girl burned in hospital bed

The girl's father, Stephen Lane, said she also likely wiped the sanitizer on her T-shirt and wiped her bedside table with it before the fire, not realizing the danger.

I've had over 30 friends die from cancer and I don't want to do the same, Ireland told KGW. I wanted to fight to stay with my family, too.

Steve Lane said his daughter had skin harvested from ther thigh and attached to her scalp, which Tuesday was under a Hello Kitty hat.

I'm strong enough a person to handle it, Ireland said.

KGW Reporter Abbey Gibb contributed to this report

Read or Share this story: