CLARKSTON, WA-- Mica Craig was shopping in the outdoor garden department of a Wal-Mart in Clarkston, WA when he thought he saw a stick lying in the aisle.

He reached down to pick it up, and discovered his mistake when the stick -- which was actually a rattlesnake -- latched onto his hand.

The 47-year-oldman says he started screaming and managed to shake the snake loose at his feet before stomping it to death.

Another Wal-Mart shopper drove him to the hospital. Craig says he was treated with six bags of anti-venom and has been told that his hand may be permanently disfigured. He was bitten on Saturday and said doctors expect him to remain hospitalized until Tuesday.

Officials said they located other snakes that apparently have been coming up from the nearby river.

Read or Share this story: