PORTLAND - A young, hospitalized girl inPortland who was burned in a bizarre fire sparked by hand sanitizer and olive oil is proving her strength as she recovers from her injuries.

Ireland Lane was burned after she used an ethyl alcohol-based hand sanitizer at Oregon Health & Science University's Doernbecher Children's Hospital, Fire Marshal Mark Wallace said. She is a cancer survivor.

More:Girl burned in hospital bed

The girl's father, Stephen Lane, has said she also likely wiped the sanitizer on Ireland's T-shirt and wiped her bedside table with it before the fire, not realizing the danger.

Ireland is now recovering at a local Ronald McDonald house.

I've had over 30 friends die from cancer and I don't want to do the same, Ireland told KGW. I wanted to fight to stay with my family, too.

KGW Reporter Abbey Gibb contributed to this report

Read or Share this story: