ALBANY Rescuers pulled two people from a burning apartment in Albany Saturday night, officials from the fire department said.

At around 11:20 p.m., firefighters and police showed up to a smoke-filled apartment building at 2296 Hill Street Southeast. They quickly rescued two people who were reportedly trapped inside an apartment with flames coming from a bedroom window, said Division Chief Michael Trabue.

One of the people was pulled out by police and another person was rescued after a subsequent search by firefighters, Trabue said.

Both victims were taken to the hospital.

Twenty firefighters showed up to the scene and extinguished the flames within 20 minutes. The bedroom suffered significant damage while heavy smoke damaged the rest of the apartment.

Albany fire officials urged everyone to verify they have a working smoke detector in their home and to regularly practice an emergency escape plan.

Read or Share this story: