SEATTLE -- Police say a person inside a Seattle cafe where a gunman went on a deadly rampage threw stools at the assailant and saved people's lives.

Police say Ian Stawicki walked into Cafe Racer on Roosevelt Avenue Wednesday morning, killing one woman and three men and critically injuring a fifth person.

I had the unfortunate opportunity to see the video of what happened at Cafe Razer. In my almost 30 years in this department, I have never seen anything more horrific, callous and cold, said Seattle Police Deputy Chief Nick Metz.

Seattle Police Assistant Chief Jim Pugel shared what they believe is a timeline of the events, based on witness accounts, tips from the public, surveillance video and evidence. Their timeline uncovered the following new information:

  • Pugel said Stawicki used two guns in the attack - both .45 semi-automatic caliber guns. Officials are determining where the guns came from.
  • Pugel said a hero' who was sitting next to Stawicki in the cafe threw a stool at him when the shootings began, hitting the suspect. The hero threw another stool and the suspect, which allowed three people to escape with their lives. The man survived the attack.
  • Stawicki reportedly took a hat from one of his victims and walked out of the cafe.
  • After Stawicki shot a woman in a First Hill parking lot, stole a car and fled to West Seattle, he abandoned the car and roamed high traffic areas in the neighborhood. He contacted an aquaintance, who was unaware of the shootings at the time. The acquaintance said Stawicki spoke erratically and irrationally and he immediately broke off contact. When the acquaintance learned about the shootings, he immediately contacted police.
  • Pugel said it was unclear how Stawicki got from the Roosevelt area to First Hill, but police were checking bus cameras to see if he had jumped on a Metro bus.
  • The 911 calls and police radio traffic from the May 30 shootings are available online.

After fleeing Cafe Racer, police said Stawicki targeted a Bellevue woman in a First Hill parking lot, shooting and killing her before stealing her car. He fled to West Seattle, where he was apprehended by police.

Stawicki died after he shot himself in the head as police closed in on him.

More to follow.

Read or Share this story: