SPOKANE, Wash. -- Medics transported a Spokane woman to Western Wash. Sunday morning after she was critically burned by a cigarette.

Firefighters say the woman was outside near 2nd and Adams when the fire started.

The fire department says embers from the cigarette she was smoking ignited a blanket she had wrapped around her. The woman is confined to a wheelchair and was unable to put the fire out for herself.

Twopassers bycame to the woman s aid and extinguished the fire. Crews took her to Sacred Heart Medical Center for second- and third-degree burns on about 28 percent of her body.

After she was stabilized, she was taken to Harborview Burn Center in Seattle for advanced treatment.

Read or Share this story: