If you didn t file a 2009 federal tax return, you may be entitled to part of $917 million the IRS is still holding. But if you want to get your money, you need to get that return filed by April 15.

The IRS said it estimates that 984,000 people who are due a potenital refund didn t file their tax returns in 2009, and that half the potential refunds are worth more than $500 dollars.

In Washington state, the IRS said it estimates 27,200 people due a refund didn t file those returns and that the median refund is worth $644.

The IRS said some people may not have filed because they had too little income to require filing a tax return, even though they had taxes withheld from their wages or made quarterly estimated payments.

If federal tax refunds are not claimed within three years of when the return was supposed to be filed, it goes to the U.S. Treasury.

The IRS said there is no penalty for filing a late return if you qualify for a refund.

Even if you have a 2009 refund due to you, the check may be held if you also failed to file returns for 2010 and 2011. The refund may also be applied to any amounts you still owe the IRS, and could also be used to pay off child support or other past due federal debts such as student loans.

More information from the IRS:

Current and prior year tax forms and instructions are available on the Forms and Publications page of or by calling toll-free 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676). Taxpayers who are missing Forms W-2, 1098, 1099 or 5498 for 2009, 2010 or 2011 should request copies from their employer, bank or other payer.

If these efforts are unsuccessful, taxpayers can get a free transcript showing information from these year-end documents by filing Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, with the IRS or by calling 800-829-1040.

Read or Share this story: