PORTLAND -- Portland was ranked at No. 2 in a list of the Top 10 Nerdiest Cities in America, according to the real estate blog Movoto. Seattle came in at No. 3 on the list.
The top prize went to Atlanta, which was recently named the top city for gaming. The other cities ranked nerdiest: Sacramento, Minneapolis, Boston, Las Vegas, Miami, San Jose and Denver.
The cities were chosen based on the following criteria:
- Number of annual comic book, video game, anime, and sci-fi/fantasy conventions
- People per comic book store
- People per video game store
- People per traditional gaming store
- People per computer store
- People per bookstore
- People per LARPing group
- People per science museum
- Distance to the nearest Renaissance faire
He found out Portland has the most comic book shops based on population. The Rose City was also No. 1 in role-playing/tabletop/card game stores. It was second in computer stores and active LARPers.
Number-cruncher Randy Nelson knew coming up with the criteria was easy, but he said, tracking down all of the data for the 50 most populous cities in the U.S. was going to require plenty of time at my computer chugging Mountain Dew.
Movoto recently named Atlanta the No. 1 city for gamers (Portland was No. 4 on that list).
The 10 Best Cities for Nerds By Movoto