PORTLAND - The father of a 12-year-old girl burned while she was hospitalized at OregonHealth and Science University announced plans to file a lawsuit against the hospital Tuesday.

Ireland Lane suffered burns over 18 percent of her body after she used an ethyl alcohol-based hand sanitizer that caught fire. Portions of her skin were also coated with olive oil that had been used to help remove monitor adhesives and that caught fire as well.

More:Burned girl talks about her recovery

The girl's father, Stephen Lane, said she also likely wiped the sanitizer on her T-shirt and wiped her bedside table with it before the fire, not realizing the danger.

Lane said his aim was not to punish the hospital, but only to cover future medical expenses.

OHSU Doernbecher released the following statement Tuesday: Although we cannot comment on pending litigation, we want to emphasize that the health and safety of our patients is our primary concern. OHSU Doernbecher is a safe place.

Meantime, Ireland is now staying at the Ronald McDonald House after treatment at the Legacy Emanuel Burn Center. She is also a cancer survivor and had been at Doernbecher for treatment of a head injury suffered in a fall.

Read or Share this story: