ST. HELENS, Ore. -- A St. Helens Safeway store was evacuated Wednesday due to a HazMat emergency and then it was reopened early Thursday morning.
Fire crews directed about 30 customers who may have been sickened to a triage area on South Columbia River Highway.
There was the possibility of some type of gas leak that originated in the deli counter area. People initially reported headaches and difficulty breathing. One man was taken to the hospital.
Ifelt a tickle in my throat at first and everyone started coughing, said shopper Jeanette Johnston.
Most said they felt better once outside.
There were no serious injuries and a Portland Fire HazMat crew was investigating.