PORTLAND, Ore. -- Aprotester who took part in the Thursday night anti-police demonstration and temporary road blockade in NWPortland yelled out that they'll be back at the same place on Friday.

Protesters clad in black gathered in NWPortland between Everett and Flanders streets Thursday evening, loosely organized behind painted banners and attempting to blockade traffic.

Sky-8 captured video of the protesters as they constructed a blockade of trash bags, turned over cans and caution tape. They held a sign that read united against police brutality and another dedicated to James Chasse.

The protest came on the same day that police and city leaders unveiled a policy change in how officers respond to emergency situations involving the mentally ill.

The first dispatch was delivered sometime around 5:30 p.m. by emergency responders, who instructed all bicycle cops to the scene.

However, local website Portland Indy Media reported that the intersection was closed at 5:07 p.m.

Bike cops quickly outnumbered the protesters, closed in, and prompted a quick dispersal. Some of the people were observed removing the black garb as they quickly left the scene. The demonstration clothing was tossed into dumpsters or dropped.

Last month, eight people were arrested in an unruly protest that began at the Portland State University campus and South Park Blocks, and proceeded west through downtown streets.

That protest was the work of self-proclaimed anarchists who object to recent deadly use-of-force cases involving Portland Police officers. Community groups who have worked in recent months toward policy reform at the Portland Police Bureau have rejected the tactics used by the so-called Black Bloc protesters.

Two deadly use-of-force incidents have incited protests in recent months. The latest incident occurred March 22, when Jack Collins was fatally shot in the Hoyt Arboretum of Washington Park.

The Collins shooting came shortly after 25-year-old Aaron Campbell was shot and killed during a standoff in NEPortland. Police tactics in that incident were being investigated by the U.S. Department of Justice.

Thursday's protesters were reportedly staging at the site of the 2006 arrest of James Chasse, a mentally ill Portland man who later died in police custody.

Read or Share this story: