LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

A transformer fire at a Seattle City Light substation sent thick, black smoke into the skies and knocked out power to about 325 customers Wednesday morning.

It started around 10 a.m. at the Broad Street substation, located at 6th Avenue and Harrison Street. Seattle City Light said it happened in a capacitor bank.

Firefighters on the scene said the smoke was non-toxic mineral oil.

Most of the smoke had dissipated in about a half-hour.

The Space Needle, KeyArena and the Experience Music Project were among those that lost power, but EMPwas able to get on backup power.

There were no immediate reports of injuries.

Read or Share this story: http://www.nwcn.com/story/news/local/washington/2014/08/18/14025532/