LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Milwaukie, Ore. A quick moving fire forced two residents from their home in Milwaukie on Saturday just three days before Christmas, firefighters said.

A woman smelled smoke in her home at 2835 SE Van Water and was able to escape with minor smoke inhalation, said Jed Walker with the Clackamas Fire District.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze in 12 minutes, but the fire rendered the home uninhabitable, with damage estimated at $50,000, Walker said.

Firefighters advise anyone with a home to make sure their smoke alarms are working because they are the single-most important factor for homeowners to protect their families.

The Clackamas Fire District suggests putting a new smoke alarm under the tree this year for Christmas.

Read or Share this story: http://www.nwcn.com/story/news/2014/07/31/12952064/