LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

VANCOUVER Residents had to jump from a balcony to escape an apartment fire in Vancouver early Sunday morning.

Firefighters found smoke spewing from an upper story apartment on Northeast 48th Circle just before 5 a.m., said Capt. Scott Willis with the Vancouver Fire Department.

Firefighters said they treated two occupants for minor smoke inhalation and seven people were in the complex.

No one was injured and the Red Cross is helping those displaced by the fire. Officials estimate the total cost of damages to the complex to be $280,000.

Investigators determined an unattended lit candle caused the blaze. Residents told officials the apartment did not have a working smoke detector.

Vancouver fire officials said that you can go by any Vancouver fire station and pick up a free smoke detector.

Read or Share this story: http://www.nwcn.com/story/news/2014/07/31/12950518/