BOISE -- The Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic returns to Ann Morrison Park on Wednesday, Aug. 28.
More than just a show, the five-day event includes hundreds of balloon launches, the highly-anticipated Nite Glow Spectacular on Friday, the Governor's Cup Competition on Saturday, and a mass-balloon launch on Sunday dedicated to longtime supporter Theresa McLeod.
This year's notable balloons include "The Happiest Balloon on Earth" from Disneyland, the uniquely shaped "Party Panda," and several racing-style balloons that can descend and ascend faster than typical craft.
Another unique feature: Saturday's competition includes a special navigational challenge for balloon pilots, according to organizer Kevin Godwin.
"We have these porta-potties that are decorated, and if they get a box wind they'll try to float back to the park and hit them," Godwin said. "Of course, they're not full porta-potties -- they're for show."
For those who don't know, 'box winds' typically allow pilots to float in one direction at lower elevation, then ride winds at a higher elevation back to their point of origin.
The Nite Glow Spectacular is a crowd favorite that features 12 balloonists that simultaneously blast their burners in a choreographed show set to music. The balloons will light up at approximately 8:15 p.m. Expect live music from The Big Wow and The IKE Project. For safety reasons, the balloons remain on the ground during this nighttime show.
BALLOONS ON KTVB
You can expect to see the colorful balloons each morning on KTVB, Idaho's News Channel 7. That's because Today's Morning News will feature KTVB meteorologists Larry Gebert and Jim Duthie reporting live from Ann Morrison Park.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- Event kickoff -- Wednesday, Aug. 28 -- 7:10 a.m.
- Media day -- Thursday, Aug. 29 -- 7:10 a.m.
- VIP day -- Friday, Aug. 30 -- 7 a.m.
- Nite Glow Spectacular -- Friday Aug. 30 -- 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Governor's Cup Competition -- Saturday, August 31 -- 7:10 a.m.
- Theresa McLeod Day, mass balloon launch -- Sunday, Sept. 1 -- 7 a.m.
For complete event details, visit the Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic schedule online.
For detailed event parking information, click here.
- Hot air balloon chase crews will need to be able to move freely through the park. Pay attention to where you park your vehicle within the park, making certain not to block exits or access points. This is critical to the safe operation of the balloons. Many vehicles have been towed in past years.
- Handicap parking will be available on a limited, first-come, first-served basis.
- Please don’t presume to enter a balloon for a picture without first obtaining permission from the pilot or crew chief.
- Pets are discouraged because the high-frequency sound of balloon burners can make them scared/agitated.
- Smoking is not allowed due to the presence of large amounts of propane gas.