Spokane father burned in December house fire dies

Print
Email
|

by OTHELLO RICHARDS & KREM.com

NWCN.com

Posted on May 7, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Updated Thursday, Dec 5 at 9:49 AM

SPOKANE, Wash. -- Harborview Medical Center confirmed that a Spokane father injured in a house fire last December has died. Shawn Apperson, 28, died Friday, May 3rd at the Seattle hospital.

Apperson was in the intensive care unit at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle since December 2012. Flames burned 75% of Apperson’s body when his house, near Central and Haven, caught fire in December.

Apperson’s father, David, said that his son went through multiple surgeries and was beginning to heal just before his death. David said that all changed around March 4th.  Shawn suffered cardiac arrest which left him paralyzed from the neck down. He remained on life support until last Friday.

“I just held my son's hand and I put my head next to him until he passed on,” said Apperson, “I want to let him know that I could let him go in peace.”

Firefighters said Apperson became trapped in a bedroom basement of his after helping his fiancé and their 11-month-old baby climb out a window. Family members said Apperson and fiancé Jessica Hammond broke a basement window and were able to get three children out of the house.

He didn't fit through the window. Firefighters rescued Apperson and his three year-old son.
Apperson’s father calls his son a hero.


“ He's a valiant warrior,” added Apperson.  

Fire Chief Bobby Williams said the fire was started by smoking materials that smoldered after a house guest left for work.

A fund has been set up to help with Apperson’s memorial service. Donations can be made at any Spokane Teachers Credit Union.

Print
Email
|