2nd fire at NE Spokane house in less than a week

Print
Email
|

by KREM.com

NWCN.com

Posted on January 22, 2013 at 6:25 PM

SPOKANE -- Four teenaged boys woke up early Tuesday morning to a house filled with smoke in Northeast Spokane.

Just last week on Wednesday, firefighters arrived at the same house near Riverton & 2nd to put out a fire in the attic.

Family members tell KREM 2 News an electrical problem sparked that fire. The tenants said they were allowed to return to the home, which was still without power.

Sarah Lagerstrom lives next door. She said two teenage boys who live next door knocked on her door  around 5:00 a.m. asking to use her phone. The kids said their basement was full of smoke.

Lagerstrom said she allowed the boys to hook up an extension chord between her home and their house so they could watch television, and have light.

The boys’ other said her sons were using wood pallets in a fire place to heat the home. The mother said she was also staying at the home, but had momentarily left.

Fire officials said part of the floor caught on fire, but everyone got out of the house okay. There were no injuries reported.

Authorities put a Hazardous Condition warning on the door, prohibiting the family from entering the home until the house is deemed safe.

The family said they did not receive a notice after the first fire.

Print
Email
|