Lawsuit filed in deadly Ore. charter bus crash

Print
Email
|

by AP and KGW.com Staff

NWCN.com

Posted on January 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Updated Tuesday, Nov 26 at 2:26 AM

PENDLETON, Ore. –  Two of the passengers who survived the deadly bus crash along Interstate 84 near Pendleton last month have filed a lawsuit against the tour bus company.

The lawsuit contends that the bus driver had worked 90 to 100 hours over an eight-day span, without relief.  The two Korean exchange students were also accusing the driver of failing to heed warnings and speeding in icy conditions.

Background: Deadly bus crash on I-84

The crash occurred as the bus was returning to Vancouver, British Columbia, on the final leg of a vacation tour.  Nine people died and 39 others were injured. The bus slid on ice and crashed down an embankment on I-84 near Pendleton.

Mi Joo Tours responded to KGW's questions about the lawsuit by releasing a statement. It said, in part, that the company was "fully cooperating with the investigation of the accident and, again, wishes to extend its deepest sympathy to those affected by this accident."

The passengers on the bus ranged in age from 7 to 74 and were from the U.S., Canada, South Korea and Japan, according to Oregon State Police Lieutenant Gregg Hastings.

More: Police begin to ID victims

"Everybody was either thrown from the bus or in the bus. We had several who were entrapped in the bus and we had to perform extraction to disentangle them to remove them,” said Pendleton Fire Chief Gary Woodson.

A federal agency is involved in the investigation, which was expected to take several weeks. The charter bus was owned by Mi Joo Tour & Travel Ltd., based in Vancouver, B.C.

Related: Roadway treacherous near I-84 bus crash

Print
Email
|