Ivory Coast says it won't send Gbagbo wife to ICC

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on September 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM

ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast (AP) — State radio in Ivory Coast is reporting that the government will not send the former president's wife to the International Criminal Court.

In a statement read on air, the government said Friday that Simone Gbagbo would remain in Ivory Coast.

The ICC unsealed an arrest warrant for her last year on charges of crimes against humanity.

Simone Gbagbo also has been charged locally with genocide and economic crimes related to the 2010-2011 conflict.

Months of violence erupted after her husband, former President Laurent Gbagbo, refused to leave office despite losing the November 2010 runoff vote. The postelection conflict killed at least 3,000 people.

Laurent Gbagbo is awaiting trial at the ICC and is the first former head of state to be taken into custody by the court.

Print
Email
|