Red Cross says 3 kidnapped workers safely released

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on May 16, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Updated Thursday, May 16 at 2:03 AM

GENEVA (AP) — The International Committee of the Red Cross says three of its workers who had been kidnapped by armed men in the southern Yemeni province of Abyan have been released.

Cedric Schweizer, who heads the ICRC delegation in Yemen, said in a statement Thursday the two international staff and a locally hired employee are now safely back with their colleagues in Aden.

Schweizer said the three had been held by armed men who stopped them Monday while they were in an ICRC-marked vehicle on their way back from a field trip.

But the Geneva-based organization did not provide more specifics on the identities of the kidnappers or the victims, or how their release came about.

Print
Email
|