Egyptian city buries its dead after deadly riot

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on January 27, 2013 at 5:03 AM

Updated Sunday, Jan 27 at 5:06 AM

PORT SAID, Egypt (AP) — Residents of Port Said, Egypt are holding mass burials today amid worries another wave of violent protests could erupt like the ones yesterday which left at least 37 dead and hundreds wounded.

Angry residents went on a rampage after a court handed down death sentences to almost two dozen local fans involved in a deadly melee at a soccer game last year.

The street clashes in Port Said were the latest in a bout of unrest across the country that has left 48 people dead since Friday.

Clashes continued for the fourth successive day today between protesters and police near Cairo's central Tahrir square, birthplace of the 2011 uprising that overthrew Hosni Mubarak.

The bloodshed highlights the challenges facing Islamist President Mohammed Morsi, who took office nearly seven months ago. Critics say Morsi has failed to carry out promised reforms.

Print
Email
|