SPOKANE -- A man injured in Hillyard area house fire was flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle with burns to 80-percent of his body.
Firefighters responded to the fire near Central and Haven around 7:00 Tuesday morning.
Emergency crews immediately searched the home after receiving reports of two people trapped inside. Firefighters located those people and helped them to safety.
Both parents and all four children were treated. The mother and three children were released.
A 3-year-old boy is expected to remain hospitalized for a few days to receive treatment for smoke inhalation.
Both a 1 year-old girl and a 4-year-old boy suffered cuts and/or burns to their feet. The mother also suffered some cuts.
Authorities said the dad was able to save the family dog.
Fire officials say the cause of the fir was accidental and occurred from smoking materials. The investigation confirmed that the fire started in the basement.
Most of the fire damage was confined to the basement of the structure.
Many people have inquired about how to help this family.
An account is set up at all INB braches in care of the Apperson family (account number is 43041458).
The family is also requesting clothing donations for the children: Sam (Boy-5T), Kayden (Boy-3T), Lainy (Girl-5T), Ella (Girl-12 to 18 months). Donations may be dropped off at the home of the children’s grandmother (Wendy): 5314 N. Washington.