Two injured in early morning Ballard fourplex fire

Print
Email
|

by KING 5 News

NWCN.com

Posted on July 22, 2010 at 4:28 AM

Updated Thursday, Jul 22 at 12:54 PM

Ballard fourplex fire

View larger map

SEATTLE - Two people were injured Thursday morning when a fire broke out in a multiple unit residence in Seattle's Ballard neighborhood.

According to the Seattle Fire Department, the fire broke out in a house that had been divided into four apartment units at 2356 NW 67th Street just before 3 a.m.

SFD spokesperson Helen Fitzpatrick says the fire began on the porch and then spread through the house and up into the attic.

Alex Griffin, who lives on the first floor of the house, said she was awakened by her partner.

"Waking up and seeing orange in front of me and him screaming there was a fire and I was like 'ha ha' psych," said Griffin. "And then he was really screaming so up went the window and out we went."  

One man, who jumped out a second-floor window, broke his ankle. Another resident suffered burns on his hands and feet and was also taken to Harborview Medical Center.

Fitzpatrick says two other people inside got out safely.

Fitzpatrick says the cause of the fire was started by a problem with electrical wiring. She says the fire started inside a wall.

Damage is estimated at $215,000.

KING 5 News' Teresa Yuan and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Print
Email
|