Permits for cutting Christmas trees go on sale today in the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest.
Each permit costs $5 and allows a family to cut one tree up to 15 feet in height, or dig a small live transplant tree
Permits may be purchased in person or by mail and are limited to two per family. They are non-refundable.
Christmas tree permits may be placed on the driver's side dashboard in lieu of a Northwest Forest Pass when parking at a trailhead. However, once enough snow accumulates and selected trailhead parking areas convert to Sno-Parks, you must have a valid Washington State Sno-Park permit displayed on your windshield when parking at any State Sno-Park.
For those who can't make it into any of the offices during daily business hours, many Wenatchee area businesses are also selling Christmas tree permits.
· In Wenatchee, tree permits are available at Hooked on Toys and Arlberg Sports.
· Permits can be bought at the Chelan Shell Foodmart gas station in Chelan.
· The Entiat Food Center in Entiat is also selling Christmas tree permits.
· In the Lake Wenatchee area, Parkside Grocery, Midway Village Grocery and Plain Hardware have permits for sale.
· In Leavenworth, tree permits are available at Dan's Food Market, the Quik Stop 76 gas station and Village Mercantile 76 gas station.
· In the Cle Elum and Ellensburg areas Christmas tree permits can be purchased at Pioneer Coffee, InterMountain Radio Shack, Sportland Minimart Shell and Ellensburg Chamber of Commerce.
· Christmas tree permits are available at the following locations in the Naches Ranger District area:
- Eagle Rock Resort and Whistlin' Jack Lodge on State Route 410
- Rimrock Grocery Store on U.S. Highway 12
- Helms True Value Hardware and Save-On Foods in Selah
- Oak Creek Ace Hardware and Slim's Market in Naches
- Bi-Mart stores in Yakima and Sunnyside
· Vendors selling Christmas tree permits in Okanogan County include:
- Chevron Station in Okanogan
- Prince's in Oroville (they should start selling them by Nov. 21)
- Conconully General Store (they should start selling them by Nov. 21)
- The Junction Mini Mart in Tonasket (they should start selling them by Nov. 21)
- Twisp Chevron gas station, Hank's Market and Hank's Mini Market in Twisp
- Pardners Mini Market and Winthrop Mountain Sports in Winthrop
For more information about Christmas tree permits please contact any Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest office. These offices are open Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Our offices will be closed on the Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Forest Service offices may also close early the day before Thanksgiving, so call ahead for operating hours.
Chelan Ranger District, 428 W. Woodin Ave., Chelan WA 98816; 509-682-4900
Cle Elum Ranger District, 803 W. 2nd Street, Cle Elum, WA 98922; 509-852-1100
Entiat Ranger District, physical address 2108 Entiat Way, mailing address P.O. Box 476 Entiat, WA 98822; 509-784-1511
Methow Valley Ranger District, 24 West Chewuch Road, Winthrop, WA 98862; 509-996-4000
Naches Ranger District, 10237 Hwy. 12, Naches, WA 98937; 509-653-1401
Okanogan Valley Office, 1240 South Second Ave., Okanogan, WA 98840; 509-826-3275
Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest Headquarters office, 215 Melody Lane, Wenatchee, WA 98801; 509-664-9200
Tonasket Ranger District, 1 W. Winesap, Tonasket, WA 98855; 509-486-2186
Wenatchee River Ranger District-Leavenworth office, 600 Sherbourne, Leavenworth, WA 98826; 509-548-2550