The Grant County Sheriff’s Office now says they belive a 16-year-old Royal City girl is listed as an "endangered missing person' because she is without asthma medication, but that evidence suggests that Monica Helberg is willingly traveling with 22-year-old Miles "Logan" Moncada.
They say the evidence includes:
• Helberg and Moncada have previously been in a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship;
• Helberg ran away with Moncada once before;
• Text messages from Helberg’s phone to her parents;
• When Helberg was discovered gone Thursday morning, pillows were arranged in her bed to simulate a person under the covers;
• Information that one of Helberg’s family members met Moncada and Helberg early Thursday morning in Moses Lake and delivered Moncada’s wallet; and
• The presence of hair dye and disposable razors in an Albuquerque motel room, where Moncada was seen Saturday night, suggesting Moncada and/or Helberg may have changed their appearance.
Helberg’s family is concerned for her safety. They have set up a Facebook page to share information.
The Sheriff’s Office says Helberg and Moncada may be traveling in a yellow 2014 Ford Focus, Wash. plates ANR8440. It’s possible they’re en route to Crystal City (Zavala County), Texas, where Moncada has family.
Helberg’s family and the sheriff’s office are hoping for direct confirmation from Helberg that she is okay.
“We’re all concerned about Monica’s safety, and her family wants her to come home,” said Sheriff Tom Jones. “At a minimum, we hope she calls home to talk to her parents to let them know she is okay, but certainly having her back home is what we all hope for.”
Anyone with information is asked to call the Grant County Sheriff's Office at (509) 762-1160.