Coroner blames carbon monoxide for 5 fire deaths

Coroner blames carbon monoxide for 5 fire deaths

Coroner blames carbon monoxide for 5 fire deaths

Print
Email
|

by ASSOCIATED PRESS

NWCN.com

Posted on April 17, 2013 at 2:53 PM

   LEWISTON, Idaho (AP) -- A coroner says he's positive that carbon monoxide poisoning is to blame for the deaths of five people killed in a house fire in Orofino last weekend.


   Clearwater County Coroner Will Rambeau says smoke inhalation was a lesser factor in the deaths of two adults, three teens and two dogs in Saturday's fire. He says the cause of death was confirmed in blood tests.


   Rambeau says everyone died in their sleep from carbon monoxide created from a slow burning fire then seeped into the house.


   The Lewiston Tribune reports that investigators have concluded the fire was caused by an overloaded power cord on the front porch where an electric grill was plugged into an outlet.


   Rambeau said the house had two smoke detectors but lacked a carbon monoxide detector.

Print
Email
|