It’s a department that’s scope spreads from fighting wildfire to influencing timber, fishing, and agriculture.
While often overlooked, the Commissioner of Public Lands has turned into a very competitive race this year, since this is also an open seat. Current Commissioner Peter Goldmark unexpectedly withdrew from running for re-election.
The two candidates vying for his job are Democrat Hillary Franz, an attorney and former executive director of Futurewise, and Republican Steven McLaughlin, a retired U.S. Navy Commander.
- Wildfire strategy and preparedness
- Balance of conservation and supporting resource based industry
- Overseeing state trust lands and money for schools
- Addressing the critics
- Biggest environmental concern facing the state
- Initiative 732, the proposed carbon tax, tax swap
Copyright 2016 KING