HEPPNER, Ore. -- A bird got into an electrical box, and the resulting sparks set off a grass fire that burned within yards of houses on the western edge of Heppner in Eastern Oregon.
Fire Chief Rusty Estes says the fire Thursday afternoon was driven by winds and blackened a hillside, about 1,000 acres of grass and trees. The East Oregonian reports some residents used hoses and shovels to keep the flames at bay until firefighters arrived.
Estes said firefighters had it contained to the point of putting out hot spots.
No injuries were reported. A shed burned, but flames bypassed a cell tower atop the hill.
Heppner has a population of about 1,300 people on the north flank of the Blue Mountains. It's the seat of Morrow County.