Charges in N.C. motel death of Longview couple

Print
Email
|

by WCNC.com staff

NWCN.com

Posted on January 9, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Updated Thursday, Jan 9 at 11:19 AM

BOONE, N.C. -- Four indictments have been filed against the president of a Boone Best Western following three carbon monoxide related deaths.

The sheriff’s office made the announcement Wednesday afternoon.

A grand jury determined three charges of involuntary manslaughter will be filed along with one for assault and inflicting serious bodily injury. The charges will be filed solely against Barry Damon Mallatere, who serves as president for Appalachian Hospitality Management and of the hotel, as well as the proprietor of daily operations.

Jeffrey Williams, 11, died from carbon monoxide poisoning at the Best Western in June. NBC Charlotte is told the boy’s mother suffered carbon monoxide related injuries.

Williams and his mother were staying in the same room where Daryl and Shirley Jenkins of Longview, Wash., died two months before.

More: Carbon monoxide killed Longview couple in N.C.

Officials have said a faulty pool heater below the room is to blame. The hotel is now open, but room 225 will be forever closed.

A court date has yet to be set.

The press conference was originally scheduled for Monday but cancelled due to weather conditions.

Print
Email
|