PORTLAND - An apartment tenant was seriously burned in a fire in downtown Portland Monday before a stranger rushed in to help him.
Just before 4:30 p.m., smoke started pouring out of a third-story apartment at Southwest 4th and Oak.
Carl Sizelove was on the sixth floor of the Henry building when the fire broke out. He used to fight wildfires in California and rushed downstairs to see if he could help douse this blaze, too.
Sizelove said he saw thick smoke and big flames so he grabbed a fire extinguisher and started spraying. Then he noticed a man in the corner of the burning apartment.
He ushered the man out of the burning apartment and firefighters took over from there. Sizelove said he doesn't consider himself a hero. He was just helping how ever he could.
The victim was taken to the Legacy Emanuel Burn Center. He suffered burns to his face and smoke inhalation, officials said. His name has not been released.
Investigators think a cigarette and an oxygen tank ignited the blaze.