Portland bartender badly burned while making cocktail

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press and KGW.com Staff

NWCN.com

Posted on April 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Updated Friday, Apr 5 at 3:05 PM

PORTLAND -- A bartender was burned Thursday night while he was making a cocktail at Portland's Bluehour restaurant, a fire spokesman said.

"A candle fueled by a broken bottle of alcohol started the fire, which eventually got hot enough to set off the sprinkler system," said Ron Rouse of Portland Fire & Rescue.

The bartender, Steve Grimm, was taken to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center with first and second-degree burns. He was in fair condition Friday and expected to be released Saturday.

"We are grateful to our amazing staff for acting so quickly and efficiently," said Bluehour owner Bruce Carey. "We are working diligently to put the bar back in full operation. We regret that our guests’ evenings were interrupted by this accident, but thankful everyone is okay." 

There were no other reports of injuries. Rouse said the sprinklers extinguished the flames before firefighters arrived. There was no immediate damage estimate.

 

Print
Email
|