CORVALLIS, Ore. (AP) -- Corvallis authorities say a man who used gasoline to ignite a pile of yard debris is expected to survive his burns.
The Gazette-Times reports (http://bit.ly/Z3Aohp) the unidentified man in his 50s told firefighters he'd poured gasoline on the pile and then poured a trail of gas leading to it.
Jim Patton of the Corvallis Fire Department says that when the man lit the gasoline, flammable vapor in the air exploded. He suffered first- and second-degree burns Wednesday, and a relative took him to the hospital.
Patton says there are safer ways to get rid of yard debris, such as recycling and composting.