Boy saves grandmother from Vernonia fire

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press

NWCN.com

Posted on October 15, 2012 at 5:28 PM

VERNONIA, Ore. -- A 12-year-old boy is recovering from burns to his face and hands after carrying his grandmother to safety after an explosive fire at their home in Vernonia.

The fire erupted Friday after a propane heater started leaking. Seth Cutright said he noticed an odd smell but didn't know it was gas, until his grandmother, Rose Cutright, lit a cigarette and ignited the blaze.

Seth recalled hearing a boom and seeing a flash. Then, he realized his grandmother was on fire. He carried her outside and set her on the ground. Then he went next door to a neighbor's house.

The two are recovering at the Oregon Burn Center in Portland. Seth's father, Roger Cutright, says he's proud of his son. They said they wanted to talk about the fire on television and show Seth's burned face to raise awareness about the danger, and because they are so grateful for the doctors at the burn center.

Print
Email
|