SPOKANE, Wash. -- Medics transported a Spokane woman to Western Wash. Sunday morning after she was critically burned by a cigarette.
Firefighters say the woman was outside near 2nd and Adams when the fire started.
The fire department says embers from the cigarette she was smoking ignited a blanket she had wrapped around her. The woman is confined to a wheelchair and was unable to put the fire out for herself.
Two passers by came to the woman’s aid and extinguished the fire. Crews took her to Sacred Heart Medical Center for second- and third-degree burns on about 28 percent of her body.
After she was stabilized, she was taken to Harborview Burn Center in Seattle for advanced treatment.