SPOKANE, Wash. – The Spokane County Medical Examiner has identified one of the victims killed in a North Spokane apartment fire on Tuesday.
Officials said Georgia Eshom, 61, and Robert Guillemette, 57, both died of smoke inhalation during a fire at the Rosewood Club Apartments on Magnesium on Tuesday.
A firefighter, Charles “Chuck” McKenzie was also injured in the fire. McKenzie is recovering from second and third degree burns at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.
Officials said the two victims in the fire were likely dead long before firefighters made it inside the apartment, though a Good Samaritan did try to help save them.
Investigators said both victims were known smokers. It is believed smoking in bed contributed to the fire. They also found an overloaded power strip in the apartment. But all factors lead officials to say this fire was simply a terrible, tragic accident.