Man faces murder charge after assault outside Spokane bar

Man arrested in connection to deadly fight

SPOKANE, Wash. -- The Spokane Police Department has one man in custody following a four-hour standoff in North Spokane early Wednesday morning. The man in custody is wanted in connection to an assault that happened outside of a Spokane bar, where the victim later died.

According to police, Andre S. Joseph, 47, surrendered peacefully after SPD had to breach the door of where they found him near the area of East Sanson Avenue and North Standard Street.

Police said Joseph is facing second degree murder charges for an incident that happened outside of The Flame Restaurant and Bar on East Sprague Avenue on Saturday night.

Around 7:37 p.m. on Saturday emergency aid arrived at the bar and found the victim unconscious just outside of the entrance to the bar. He was taken to Sacred Heart to be treated for a severe head injury, but died from those injuries just before 5:00 a.m. on Sunday morning.

Authorities were able to review surveillance video to determine a preliminary timeline of events.  Police said Joseph had entered the bar initially around 7:23 p.m. Shortly after, the victim arrived with a woman and Joseph allegedly called that woman an expletive, court documents show.

When the victim confronted Joseph about what he had said, both men walked outside of the bar. Documents show immediately after exiting, Joseph turned around and punched the victim who was standing there with his hands at his sides. The victim fell backwards and hit the pavement and did not move. Police said the surveillance video shows the victim laying motionless as Joseph goes back inside.

Surveillance video shows Joseph talk to the bartender and then walk back outside, get in his car and leave. When police interviewed the bartender Joseph spoke with, they were told Joseph had come back into the bar after walking out with the victim and said the victim was passed out on the ground.

When officials went to the hospital and interviewed the woman that was with the victim, she told them she knew Joseph and identified him. Documents do not specify how the woman knew Joseph.

Police interviewed Joseph's mother and she told police that Joseph had told her he had gotten in an argument with a guy at the bar and he slapped him and he fell down.

On Wednesday morning, police arrived to the area of East Sanson and N. Standard Street. After four hours of what authorities called a "peaceful standoff", they breached the door and said Joseph immediately surrendered. He was booked at 6:50 a.m.



To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment