Natural gas leak prompts evacuation at N. Spokane Safeway

SPOKANE, Wash. – The Spokane Fire Department said a natural gas leak prompted evacuations on Tuesday morning at a Safeway store in Spokane.

According to officials, around 5:47 a.m. they were dispatched to the Safeway grocery store located on 933 East Mission Avenue for a gas leak.

Employees of the store reported smelling gas and called authorities. Crews were able to evacuate about 40 people that were in the store at the time. They shut off the gas supply and began ventilating the building.

Crews worked with Avista to systematically check the structure to pinpoint the location of the gas source. They discovered a leaking joint in one of the supply lines to the heating system. The line was isolated and a private contractor will be brought in for repairs, fire officials said.

Once crews determined there was no longer an issue, those evacuated were able to return to the store.

KREM


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment