WASHINGTON D.C --- President-Elect Donald Trump’s transition team named Eastern Washington Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers as a vice chair member.
McMorris Rodgers won her re-election bid for the 5th Congressional District in a race against Democratic challenger Joseph Pakootas.
The 5th District stretches from Walla Walla in the southeastern portion of the state to the Canadian border.
McMorris Rodgers, who has represented the district since 2005, is the fourth highest-ranking Republican in the House of Representatives.
"I'm honored to serve as a Vice Chair of President-elect Trump's Transition Team," she said in a statement. "The American people sent a message with this election: it is time to shake up the status quo."
While it is unknown at this time if McMorris Rodgers will leave her position in the House to serve on the transition team, we were able to confirm with Spokane County Auditor Vicky Dalton what would take place if McMorris Rodgers did resign.
There would not be a special appointment to fill her role; the person to fill her spot must be elected.
There has to be an election cycle with a primary and election that would include a special election.
The exact date of a special election would depend entirely on when McMorris Rodgers left office. That is, of course, all if she decides to resign her position.
President-Elect Trump's Transition Team:
- Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn (R-TN)
- Dr. Ben Carson
- New Jersey Governor Chris Christie
- Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin
- Lieutenant General Michael Flynn, USA (Ret.)
- Former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Newt Gingrich
- Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani
- Congresswoman Cynthia Lummis (R-WY)
- Incoming Deputy National Security Advisor Kathleen Troia "KT" McFarland
- Congressman Tom Reed (R-NY)
- Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA)
- U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL)
- U.S. Senator Tim Scott (R-SC)
- Congressman Lou Barletta (R-PA)
- Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi
- Congressman Chris Collins (R-NY)
- Congressman Sean Duffy (R-WI)
- Congressman Trey Gowdy (R-SC)
- Jared Kushner
- Congressman Tom Marino (R-PA)
- Rebekah Mercer
- Steven Mnuchin
- Congressman Devin Nunes (R-CA)
- Congressman Dennis Ross (R-FL)
- Anthony Scaramucci
- Pastor Darrell Scott
- Kiron Skinner
- Peter Thiel
- Donald Trump Jr.
- Eric Trump
- Ivanka Trump
- RNC Chairman and incoming White House Chief of Staff, Reince Priebus
- Trump Campaign CEO and incoming Chief Strategist and Senior Counselor to the President, Stephen K. Bannon