Kids contract skin infection after visit to YMCA pool

Print
Email
|

by KTVB.COM

NWCN.com

Posted on May 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Updated Tuesday, Nov 19 at 1:37 PM

BOISE -- The West Family YMCA says it's working closely with the Central District Health Department to make sure its swimming pool is safe after five children, who played in the children's wading pool, contracted a skin infection.

The YMCA says staff cleaned and disinfected the pool immediately after being notified about the infection, which was caused by Mycobacterium abscessus, a bacteria found naturally in water and soil.

Symptoms of the skin infection include red bumps or blisters, usually found on hands and feet.

The infection can be serious and long-lasting if left untreated.

If you see symptoms in your child, contact the Central District Health Department at 327-8625.

Print
Email
|