KING 5 News Environmental Specialist Gary Chittim is in the Gulf Coast region where millions of gallons of oil have already gushed out of what's left of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig that exploded and sank nearly a month ago.
The oil threatens one of the most ecologically fragile areas along the U.S. coast.
In a series of reports, Chittim will look at the developments and how the Pacific Northwest is playing an integral role in trying to prevent an environmental disaster:
- May 24, 2010: Seattle Aquarium sea otter survived last great oil spill
- May 20, 2010: Relentless oil surge smothers Louisiana marshes
- May 19, 2010: Tempers getting short in oil spill zone
- May 19, 2010: Oil arrival raises wildlife concerns
- May 18, 2010: Oil reaches sensitive areas of the Gulf Coast
- May 17, 2010: Gulf shrimpers paying heavy price
- May 17, 2010: Seattle biologist on bird patrol on Gulf Coast
- May 16, 2010: Gulf Coast covered with Northwest boom