PORTLAND, Ore. – A Wednesday morning gas explosion damaged businesses on the busy block of Northwest 23rd Avenue and Glisan Street. As the smoke subsided, businesses started to check in on social media.
At least two firefighters and two civilians were injured but no fatalities were reported. Click for latest
Anyone who needs immediate help with food or shelter can go to Congregation Beth Israel at Northwest 19th and Flanders Street. Mayor Charlie Hales said people can contact the Mayor's Office to donate money or goods to those affected by the explosion.
This story will be updated as more news comes in. Were you working in the area? Send updates to email@example.com.
Art Work Rebels Tattoo said their shop was completely destroyed and the business is looking for a new space following the explosion.
An unfortunate day for all of us at Art Work Rebels. Our shop was destroyed this morning due to what is being reported as a gas explosion caused by a neighboring construction site. We're already looking for somewhere to setup shop, but all currently scheduled appointments will be taking place at another shop for the time being. Please email your tattooer to find out when and where. Lastly, a sincere thank you to our amazing friends and clients for the instant outpouring of love and support. It means the world.
Fetch Eyewear said all employees got out before the blast but they haven't yet found their cat, Mau Mau.
Natural gas explosion at our Portland Fetch store. All personnel made it out safely. We do not know our store cat, Mau Mau.— Fetch Eyewear (@FetchEyewear) October 19, 2016
Moonstruck Chocolate said the NW 23rd café was temporarily closed. Their staff is safe and unharmed.
Our café on NW 23rd will be temporarily closed as a result of today’s incident in Portland. Our staff is safe and unharmed. pic.twitter.com/mGNBDEA4oQ— Moonstruck Chocolate (@MoonstruckChoc) October 19, 2016
Blush Beauty Bar said the business was damaged but everyone is OK.
The windows at Kitchen Kaboodle were blown out but no injuries were reported at the popular kitchen and home goods shop.
Russell Tunes was at McMenamins Ramshead on NW 23rd Avenue before the explosion happened. He said employees were evacuated but a coworker had glass in his arm.
Massive gas explosion today at work. My co-worker was injured with glass in his arm. There were three total explosions. The first two blew the entire building up in the every direction. I was on the scene with the FD investigating the source before they evacuated us minutes before the building exploded. I hope everyone is alive and okay. Thank you Portland fire department and emergency responders for everything you do and stay safe! #nw23rd #Portland #explosion #gasleak #emergency #911 #firedepartment #ambulance #police
Dosha Salon said the business was closed until further notice but staff members are safe.
The Portland Bagelworks business was destroyed but all of the employees were reported safe.
Pizzicato Pizza, which is located across the street from the explosion, said their Northwest location was closed but all of the employees are all right.
Chocolate shop The Meadow on NW 23rd and Johnson Street reported that everyone was "safe and sound."
Thai Bloom on Northwest Flanders and 23rd said the business will be closed until further notice.
The William Temple House Thrift Store was also closed.
Power went out at Linfield College nursing campus on Northwest Northrup Street but everyone was safe.
@KGWNews Linfield College nursing campus lost power for an hour but everyone is okay— Kelsey Franklin (@KelseyJoFrank) October 19, 2016