Tesoro, Shell Oil settle lawsuit from families of killed workers

Tesoro, Shell Oil settle lawsuit from families of killed workers

Credit: KING

Tesoro, Shell Oil settle lawsuit from families of killed workers

Print
Email
|

by JAKE WHITTENBERG / KING 5 News

NWCN.com

Posted on January 29, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Updated Thursday, Jan 30 at 6:50 AM

The attorney representing the families of six of the seven refinery workers killed in an explosion in 2010 said they've settled a wrongful death lawsuit against Tesoro and Shell Oil Company.

The families claimed the company deliberately ignored dangerous conditions at the Anacortes refinery that led to the blast, killing seven workers. A contractor who was burned but survived was also included in the suit.

Attorney David Beninger said the lawsuit settled last month for around $39 million and the money was divided among the families.

Beninger said a separate suit against Lloyd's Register Energy, a company hired to examine the refinery's naphtha hydrotreater unit, is still scheduled for trial later this year.

The Chemical Safety Board conducted an investigation and found that at the time of the blast a bank of heat exchangers was being brought online in the unit when another heat exchanger failed, spewing highly flammable hydrogen gas that quickly ignited.

The CSB has planned a public listening session in Anacortes for January 30th, where investigators will present results of the investigation to the board and provide safety recommendations. Several families have expressed concerns about the length of time it’s taken to complete the investigation.

The accident at Tesoro was the most deadly U.S. refinery incident since the 2005 explosion at BP Texas City that killed 15 workers and injured 180 others.
 

Print
Email
|