TACOMA Wash. -- The Tacoma Link light rail is one step closer to expansion. While a new route has been selected, the public got a chance to look at potential location of the stops at an open house with Sound Transit and Tacoma city officials on Monday.
The proposed expansion takes the existing 1.6 mile system from the Tacoma Dome to the Theater District and extends it to the Hilltop business district using Stadium Way. This comes after years of planning.
Potential station locations include:
• Station Area #1: Existing Theater District Station or Old City Hall
• Station Area #2: Stadium Way and S. 4th Street
• Station Area #3: Stadium District/Tacoma Avenue
• Station Area #4: MLK and 6th Avenue
• Station Area #5: MLK and S. 11th Street
• Station Area #6: MLK and S. 19th Street
If sound transit can secure partner funding by then, construction could begin in 2017.