SEATTLE -- With gas prices expected to level off and airfare going up, more Americans will be driving instead of flying to their summer destination. A recent survey found that 38% of Americans will take longer trips -- 300 miles or more -- this summer.
Gabe Saglie, Senior Editor at Travelzoo, says there are a number of affordable trips from Seattle:
1. Hotel BLU, Vancouver B.C. (150 miles from Seattle)
- Brand new 4-star hotel on trendy Robson Street
- $173/night (40% off) with valet parking and breakfast for two
2. Pinnacle Lodge, Sun Peaks, B.C. (250 miles from Vancouver)
- Lodge provides easy access to golf, kayaking, canoeing, fly fishing, hiking, horseback riding and more than 120 wineries
- $140/night for a 2-night stay (50% off) with kayak and mountain bike rentals
3. Bridge Bay at Shasta Lake, Redding, Calif. (590 miles from Seattle)
- Sail on a 47-foot Summit boat with full kitchen, gas BBQ
- $810 for a 3-day rental (40% off)
4. Hill House Inn, Mendocino, Calif. (225 miles from Redding)
- Quaint inn located 2 blocks from the ocean and steps from eclectic shops, galleries and wine-tasting rooms downtown
- The inn and its surroundings were often showcased in the TV series "Murder, She Wrote"
- $199 for a 2-night stay (66% off) with breakfast and bottle of wine