Gunman dead after injuring 6 at FedEx facility in Ga.


by Larry Copeland, USA TODAY

Posted on April 29, 2014 at 6:22 AM

Updated Tuesday, Apr 29 at 8:52 AM

KENNESAW, Ga. – A package handler opened fire on fellow employees at a FedEx facility in suburban Atlanta early Tuesday, injuring six people before killing himself.

The victims -- including one in critical condition -- were taken to Wellstar Kennestone Hospital.

Police sweeping the area after the shooting found the suspect dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot in the loading dock area, according to Cobb County police spokesman Dana Pierce.

One employee, Liza Aiken, said the shooter was a 19-year-old a loader, The Atlanta Journal-Constitutionreports. Aiken says she heard a "clink" when he apparently dropped a knife, prompting her to look up.

"He had an assault rifle. He had bullets strapped to his chest like Rambo," the newspaper quotes Aiken as saying. "I mean he looked like he was heading into war. As soon as I saw him, I ran the other way. I ran and made sure that people upstairs were gone. He was in all black. I think he had a camo vest. He had an assault rifle and bullets strapped to his chest."

The gunman reportedly went through the normal security checks on arrival at the facility Tuesday morning, WXIA-TV reports.

Michael Hogland, a ground driver at the FedEx facility at McCollum Field, said his supervisor told him that the gunman had shot a security guard and had pointed a gun at him, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.

Cobb County police continued to search the facility for possible "secondary incendiary devices."

Several bomb squads from metro Atlanta police agencies have arrived at the facility. It was not immediately clear whether authorities had specific information about possible devices or were taking normal precautionary measures.

Police used search dogs to go through the entire warehouse, located near Cobb County Airport-McCollum Field.

The shootings occurred at 5:45 a.m. FedEx authorities reporting to work were turned away, WXIA-TV reports.

Those already at the facility were held in a warehouse on the property while the facility was placed on lockdown.

FedEx spokesperson Scott Fielder issued a statement from the company saying:"Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected, and with their families and friends. We are grateful for the assistance of law enforcement. The situation is now stabilized and we are focused on the needs of our team members and cooperating with the law enforcement investigation of this tragedy."