PORTLAND – A case of measles has been reported in a person who traveled to the Portland metro area for a tennis tournament in mid-August, according to Washington County health officials.
The traveler, who had a contagious case of the measles, visited the Portland metro area between Aug. 14 and 17, said Wendy Gordon, a spokeswoman for the Washington County Department of Health and Human Services.
The traveler was visiting for the United States Tennis Association Pacific Northwest Juniors Sectional Tennis Tournament in Washington County, Gordon said.
Measles is a highly contagious and potentially serious air-born virus, spread through coughing and sneezing. According to Gordon, the risk of catching the virus is low because most people in the Portland metro area have been vaccinated.
Symptoms of measles include rash, fever and cough. People showing symptoms of measles should contact their health provider and avoid exposing others.
People who visited any of the following locations could have been exposed:
Thursday, August 15
• 7:30-10:00 am – continental breakfast at Shilo Hotel (Canyon Road)
• 9:15 -1:45 pm – West View High School tennis courts
• 12:00-2:30 pm—Michael’s Craft Store (Evergreen)
• 12:30-3:00 pm – Sports Authority (next to Michael’s)
• 1:15-4:00 pm – Sweet Tomatoes (Beaverton)
• 2:10-5:15 pm –West View High School tennis courts
• 3:30-7:30 pm – West Hills Tennis Club • 7:00-9:45 pm –Fred Meyer on Walker/158th
Friday, August 16
• 7:00-9:30 am- continental breakfast at Shilo hotel (Canyon Road)
• 8:30-12:00 pm – Jesuit High School tennis courts
• 12:00-3:00 pm --West View High School tennis courts
• 1:15-3:45 pm Sun Teriyaki (next door to Fred Meyer/158th)
• 1:15-3:45 pm Best Teriyaki (next door to Fred Meyer/158th)
• 3:30-6:15 pm DSW Shoes (185th in Beaverton) - new addition
• 4:00-8:30 pm --West View High School tennis courts
• 7:00-9:30 pm –Fred Meyer on Walker/158th
Saturday, August 17
• 7:30-10:00 am –continental breakfast at Shilo hotel (Canyon Road)
• 9:30-1:00 pm -- West View High School tennis courts
• 1:30-4:30 pm – Portland Community College Rock Creek Campus tennis courts
• 2:40-5:00 pm – Baskin Robbins (Walker Rd)
• 4:00-6:45 pm—Target (SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy)
• 5:30-9:00 pm -- Washington Mall—especially Footlocker, Champs, H&M, Game Stop, Apple, Pac Sun, and food court